Monday 9 November 2015

Dead and Buried

The Village of Hadley in the County of Shropshire, RIP

I was born and brought up in this village. As children we had so much to explore and enjoy: two railways LMS and GWR; a branch of the Shropshire Union Canal; old mine workings (very mysterious, these); and lots of fields with ponds, ditches, hedges, derelict barns, and things you couldn't put a name to. A great place to be a child.
It's gone now. They destroyed it to make a bypass as part of a new town development called Telford, needed to take the overspill from the West Midland towns like Birmingham.
The Primary School that I went to, a churchy-looking building, is now a mosque; or it might be a Hindu temple. I don't know, and I don't care.  It's all alien to me now.
I went back to Hadley once. I will never go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment